Would you like some more money?

You might be able to get some more money—as a tax refund. And, get a trained tax preparer to help you  prepare your 2012 return, for free!


You have to file a tax return and ask for special tax breaks, called  tax credits offered by the IRS. These include the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit. There is an additional one called the  Credit for the Elderly or Disabled.


Who can help you prepare this complicated tax form?

  1. The  VITA program of the IRS (IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) offers tax help to people who make $50,000 or less. If you qualify, you can probably get more money back through your tax refund. The IRS trains volunteers to review your paperwork, and help you figure out if you qualify for any of these credits. Then they help you prepare a return, and file (or send it in) electronically. So you get your refund faster!!!
  2. VITA has a  sister program, called  TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) for people who are 60 years old, plus. TCE offers great answers to questions about pensions, and retirement. The IRS certified volunteers are often retired themselves.


This is probably your next question.

When can I get this help so I can get this money?

As soon as you have all of your paperwork together, and make an appointment, or show up. Do it early, so you can file early and get your refund money back really quickly. Maybe in as little as 10 days!!!!

Of course you will have to bring paperwork so that the volunteer tax preparers can do a good job.  There is a list of the paperwork at the end of the blog. It’s the usual stuff-proof of id, social security numbers, official forms that tell how much you made last year (W-2, or maybe W 2G or different types of 1099s). But look at the list below.


Where can I get this done for me?

Find a site near you so you can get personal help from a trained volunteer. You can meet these tax preparers in your community. They set up neighborhood libraries, schools, and other locations. For

  1. VITA click the link here Find a Location for Free Tax Prep or call 1(800) 906-9887.
  2. TCE  (AARP Tax Aid) click the link here  TCE or call 1(888)227-7669.

Hurry!  Unless of course, you don’t need the money.


 Here’s the list of paperwork you will need to bring to the VITA or TCE sites, so the tax preparer can file everything carefully and follow all legal procedures.

  • Proof of identification – Picture ID
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
    • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
    • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check—so you can get your refund sent right to your checking account
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.